Simple steps to increase the performance of a web application.
Lets say you are tasked to analyze and increase the performance of a website. What are the things you would look into. What would you improve or what would you avoid.
This brief article discusses the simple steps to increase the performance of a web application.
There are 3 places where performance can be increased
- 1. Network Level
- 2. Server Level
- 3. Database Level
- 4. Application Level
At network level we can do the following optimizations.
- 1. Reduce Number of requests, by combining requests
- 2. Use CDN’s like cloudflare, maxcdn, cloudfront etc
- 3. Minifiying the html, css and js content before sending it to the client.
- 4. Use Local Caching to store data in the client browser using techniques like localstorage and sessionstorage
At server level we can do the following optimizations.
- 1. horizondal scaling - increase number of servers and put them after a load balancer.
- 2. vertical scaling - increase the hardware of the single server by buying s bigger machine
At the database level we can use sharding (splitting) of data
This is a very big topic in itself, but the keywords to look out are, optimized way of storaging data, asyncronous operations.